One of the many mental disorders we encounter with stalkers is that of NPD or Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Once again we like to lay out all of the conditions this disorder my present; therefore we will quote the Diagnostic Criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder out of the DSM-IV-TR:
“A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
(3) believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
(4) requires excessive admiration
(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.”
Well, I think we all know someone who exhibits all or at least five of these personality traits; fortunately for us they are not all stalkers. I know of a few politicians and/or supervisors that I have had over the years that fit into this category. I had one stalker who couldn’t ever seem to pass a mirror without admiring himself. For most of us a mirror is really not our best friend. This same stalker had his son dye not only his head and facial hair, but his pubic and chest hair due to the gray that was creeping in. Most of persons with narcissism, do not take any kind of criticism well at all. Some of the stalkers that have later been diagnosed by our mental health elevator are completely incredulous when a female target basically blows them off. They cannot fathom how any women or man for that matter could not find them the most wonderful creature on the planet. Many of the mental health experts that were interviewed concerning the recent Santa Barbara mass murder stated that he exhibited “severe” signs of this condition.
It should be noted that mental health professionals advise that those with the NPD exhibit many of the traits of someone with a Histrionic, Antisocial, or Borderline Personality Disorder. However the thing that stands out about NPD is how wonderful or grandiose someone with this condition thinks they are.